Thursday, June 14, 2012

Training Week at IJMHQ


As I finally have found a moment to sit down and begin to enter this blog post I am absolutely overwhelmed by the whirlwind of the past two weeks that have seemed to fly by. Last week was my first week at International Justice Mission Head Quarters and this week has been my first full week of starting my tasks, projects, meetings, and many phone calls within my specific department as an Intern. For starters I will bring you up to day with what training week was like.

If I had to pick one word or emotion that I felt by the end of last week (June 4 - 8) it would have to be beyond blessed. I thought I was passionate about IJM when I arrived in D.C. for the summer, but now I am even more passionate and in love with the mission, vision and structural strategies of this organization. Training week started out with being taught by the Gary Haugen, yes, the President and CEO and founder of IJM. He is one of the most humble and personable men I have ever met. It was such an honor, privilege and joy to learn from him as he taught us all about the biblical foundations of IJM and how it got started and the stirring God placed in his heart 15 years ago to start up IJM. One of my most favorite aspects of IJM is that it runs on God's strength and power alone. They are so Christ centered in all they do, even down to the reason why they are so professional and why we have to wear suits everyday! It has been easy to enjoy the "credibility costume", as Gary calls it, simply because it all comes back to doing everything with excellence for the Lord. That kind of motivation is the only kind worth doing all things for in my book - that the Lord might be Glorified - if you know me well it is probably the only way you could convince me to wear a suit all summer! The first night after being taught by Gary Haugen all day we were celebrated and introduced to all the staff at our Welcome Dinner! This was so fun and just a great time to get to know the other interns and the IJMHQ staff - who if I must say are quite the group of talented and gifted people! The rest of the week consisted of lots of training sessions and even some hands on case work simulations. We went over the ins and outs of how the 15 international field offices all over the world that IJM has planted work and the 3-5 year plan for IJM as a whole and how each department fits into the strategic plan and vision. It was so detailed and informative - I so greatly appreciate their transparency and how they truly welcome you into their family and desire you to know who they are, what they do, and they want you to feel a part of it. 

The Vision: To rescue thousands, protect millions, and prove that justice for the poor is possible. The way that IJM does this is by sending IJM professionals to work in their communities in 15 field offices in Asia, Africa and Latin America to secure tangible and sustainable protection of national laws through local court systems. For those of you who don't know the exact layout of the type of cases and work that IJM takes on here is a little summary-I love the work of IJM - it is so holistic and unique in comparison to other NGO's and their approach to work internationally. 




IJM seeks 4 outcomes on behalf of those we serve:
1. Victim Relief
IJM's first priority in its casework is immediate relief for the victim of the abuse being committed.

2. Perpetrator Accountability
IJM seeks to hold perpetrators accountable for their abuse in their local justice systems. Accountability changes the fear equation: When would-be perpetrators are rightly afraid of the consequences of their abuse, the vulnerable do not need to fear them.

3. Survivor Aftercare
IJM aftercare staff and trusted local aftercare partners work to ensure that victims of oppression are equipped to rebuild their lives and respond to the complex emotional and physical needs that are often the result of abuse.

4. Structural Transformation
IJM seeks to prevent abuse from being committed against others at risk by strengthening the community factors and local judicial systems that will deter potential oppressors.


I love the work of IJM - it is so holistic and unique in comparison to other NGO's and their approach to their work internationally. It is so incredible to work for this mission each and everyday that I come into the office. 

There is so much more that we learned. There is no way that I could possibly fit it all in here. But over all the jist of it is that they really take the time during training week to fully equip you to represent God, IJM, and their victims. The days were long and a whole new change of pace from just going to college classes at AppState, but the early mornings that come at 5am from the 2hr commute to the late nights of getting to know the other interns and finding time to rest when I get home are all worth it. God is so worth it. He is worthy of it all and that is why I have been called here this summer. I have been called to partner with God's heart for justice and freedom for his children and I get to do that and I am beyond thankful for the opportunity of a lifetime to do so. God has been so faithful. And this is just the beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment