Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Day in the life of the Student Mobilizer

So one thing I feel like I have yet to clue y'all in on is exactly how my position as an intern fits into the BIG vision of IJM! I think it has been interesting and fun of course for me to try and take a step back and figure out how the education department at IJM and the position of the Student Mobilizer fits into the vision of IJM too. For those of you who dont know the vision - here it is:

"To rescue thousands, protect millions, and prove that Justice for the poor is possible"

I love this mission and I love the heart behind it. As the student mobilizer, I obviously mobilize students. A lot of my job and responsibilities include social networking students together all across the nation in order to UNITE them under the banner of Justice and Freedom. I handle  a lot of little details that I have learned go a LONG way with students when we actually pay attention to them. It means so much to a student when you respond to their e-mail by using their name - they want to be known. It also means so much to them when we respond to their e-mail or phone call promptly - they are amazed when I get back to them on the same day that they have contacted me! I love hearing the excited and passionate voices of students all over the U.S. who are gearing up to launch the Justice Movement on their college campuses. So if you haven't figured it out - I handle lots of follow up phone calls for those students who have sent us a request for more info on how to start a campus chapter, I handle a lot of e-mails that are asking for creative ideas on how to get their campus active in raising awareness about the injustices that are taking place globally. It has been phenomenal so far to partner with students and to encourage and guide them as they begin to take the first steps on this journey for Justice! I have been working on some other things as well, such as resources for the education department so that we can better equip students with the knowledge they need to know about the issues of violent oppression that we are asking them to fight against.

The main way that I see myself fitting into the big vision of IJM as a whole is this: I am a Voice for the Voiceless. The number one way to fight against modern day slavery and the violent oppression happening in the countries that IJM serves is to educate and make aware students of what's happening so that they can take a stand and spread the word. If we don't know what's going on we are not going to ever be a part of the solution. I have a new passion for education and a new passion for encouraging those who have a lot and those who have freedom to stand up and share their freedom in a way that expresses that they care for those who don't have freedom yet but long for it desperately.

The scripture that comes to mind for me as my spirit begins to stir is one from the Gospel of Matthew - it reads:

"Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. As you go, preach this message, 'The kingdom of heaven is near. Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give"

-Matthew 10:6-8

This scripture hits me in the heart and especially when it says 'Freely you have received, freely give'. This is so true in my life. I have been blessed beyond measure to live in a land that is free as can be and to have a family that has been so generous in providing for me and to be surrounded with friends in my life who have become like family and supported me in my walk of faith and to have Jesus who found me when I was lost. None of these things that are apart of my life have i earned or even asked for, God has freely given them to me and as his daughter and his beloved one and his follower I am called and commanded to freely give back. It is not an option, it is a calling. I feel like that is how i fit into the bigger picture, the cases that IJM handles all over the world, they are funded by students who do fundraisers on their campuses and they are supported by the student prayer groups that lift up the monthly prayer requests of IJM to the King of Kings, and these victims and cases are going to become less and less as students rise up and teach their campuses about what is going on and how they can be apart of the movement to bring Justice to the nations.

I as the student mobilizer am reminded every day that God has called me to use my gifts and talents to freely give to those who are in need. And he is calling you as well to figure out how you fit into this bigger vision of IJM and more so just God's heart for freedom and Justice. You are apart of this whether you have realized it or not yet.

Thanks for walking through this journey with me, thanks for your prayers and support I can feel the Lord strengthening me and guiding me. You are all a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment